Follow
Read More
Once,

Inside the walls? I had no idea. Geeeez. So, what do you do when this happens?
(2)

Glad,

She said, “Mom, bees are in my apartment.” I guess she thinks that they are coming in the house when she goes in and out. She doesn’t leave her windows open.
(2)

Daughter,

I wonder how people started using the Irish Spring as a repellent for deer.

Hey, if it works, I would use it too.
(3)

We live in the wilderness. I have used Irish Spring, smelly dryer sheets, stinky Avon men's cologne & deer repellent spray. This year I am buying pinwheels and attaching then to the top of our fence posts. Maybe get some sparkly streamers to frighten them. I have to pull out all the big guns to keep deer away.
(3)

Never found anything that works. I have a globe cedar that is now a 1/2 globe cedar as the deer ate the bottom half. Fish and Wildlife suggested draping a coat over the cedar as it smells of "man" and would keep the deer away. I doubt the coat would stay there long as it is in the front right by the sidewalk. And it is not the look I want for my garden. My other cedars are in the back behind a tall fence and they are OK.

Come to think of it I haven't seen any signs of deer this year. We live opposite the bush and I usually see signs of them from February on - even on my deck. Maybe they aren't coming because there has been much snow this year and everything is still covered. Normally they are very persistent.
(2)

Wow, Victoria

You have tried lots of different things. Please let everyone know what works the best!
(2)

Golden,

Kind of sounds like a scarecrow idea to drape clothes over it.
(1)

So, are y’all ready to hear a crazy thing that happened here in New Orleans lately concerning wildlife?

A man and his wife rescued a baby nutria! LOL, they kept this rodent in their house as a pet!

About 17,000 people signed a petition to keep ‘Nutie’ in his home with the couple that saved him.

Now this rodent is a rock star on TikTok!
(2)

That is strange, NHWM! So I googled! What can I say, just bizarre!
https://www.nola.com/entertainment_life/rescued-nutria-rat-becomes-family-pet-in-bucktown/article_74fb4ea8-c11a-11ed-9c77-83f9e42374fd.html

Started, will try to do some each day. Cut back the Karl Forrester. Started on a slight slope, WORE ME OUT! So out of shape. Some that I cut just did not have it in me to pick up the last group of cuttings. Will think about it in the morning. It is going to be very slow going!
(2)

need - they say it's the smell that puts them off - supposedly Cute story about the nutria.

glad - slow and steady I guess, and lots of rest till you build yourself up.
(3)

NHWM, she should let her landlord know. It may be an ongoing problem that needs yearly maintenance. I really don't think they are bees. I would bet hornets or wasps.
(3)

Glad,

Apparently this couple is fond of their rodent. It was all over the news awhile back. We were cracking up 😆!

I don’t think my daughter told her landlord yet. She just told me about the bees today.

She is in an apartment complex. She’s upset about her dog trying to eat them. He’s very playful and curious.

My neighbor had a BBQ and he sat his beer down to flip the burgers on the grill.

Poor guy took a big gulp of his beer and the bee stung him inside of his mouth. His mouth was all swollen.

I have stepped on a bee by accident in the yard and it stung my foot. At first I thought I stepped on something sharp. Then I saw the bee.

Several years ago husband was pruning our hedges and he was attacked by a swarm of bees.

The only other time that I remember being stung was on the back of my thigh. I had on suntan lotion. I think they are attracted to sweet smells.
(3)

NHWM ~ I do all of them, but the deer repellent works the best. I also keep out a live trap out there so the ground hogs don't destroy everything. Just make sure you don't accidentally spray any repellent on yourself, no one will want to come near you for a couple days. 🤣
(3)

NHWM, any chance they’re wasps, not bees? During the summer we have to guard our drinks and food from wasps. The worst: yellowjackets nest underground in the autumn and I have twice mowed over a nest. So many welts! Now I mow wearing loose or thick pants and long sleeves. They’re the donkey-holes of the insect world.

Weird idea re: the deer. Are they fussy about where they step? What if you cover the ground around your tasty trees and shrubs with those mylar emergency blankets or crinkly cellophane? Our evil kitty is a plant murderer and that's what I’m currently trying. I have a tall dracaena with a 2’ sprout that my cat keeps pruning. So I encased the sprout loosely in cellophane. Would deer maybe hate the sound if they stepped on it? Or bubble wrap?

My husband and says I get a lot of kooky ideas. That sometimes work.
(3)

Ana - it's too late for that cedar now I pruned it so the remaining 1/2 is above their feeding height and the only other plants they seem to go for a bit are the shrub roses which can stand to be eaten. I learned not to plant cedars in the front. We have lots of snow in the winter and that's when they come to feed so it would be hard to change the underfoot texture. Don't know what happened to them this year. There must be must enough food in the bush this year, or they have moved somewhere else.

Good idea about the dracena. My kitty wiil eat a little off a spider plant only and just once in a while but there are so many spider babies that that isn't a problem and they are safe for cats. She always eats a little grass when outside in the summer.

Speaking of dracena, I have been able to propagate them by putting a shoot in water and letting it grow roots then planting it in soil. Once a side "branch" broke off and I thought I would try it. It has worked for me several times. I was surprised.. They are such lovely architectural plants.
(2)

To keep those kitties out of your plants, I have found that covering the soil with pinecones works wonderfully! It looks nice too. I used to have a six foot dracena and the pot, of course, was huge, a great kitty box in the eyes of my cat, then. It was purchased in the produce section of the store as a three inch stump to root. Yes, dracena root great in water!
(3)

The last time I was stung by a wasp was about 12 years ago, cutting back my Karl Foerster. One had crawled up inside my shirt! Sneaky little buggers!
(3)

glad - pine cones are a great idea. I had a wasp sting on a finger a few years ago weeding around one of my creeping junipers. Under your shirt - nasty!
(2)

Ana,

I guess they could be wasps. Not sure.
(2)

Thanks Golden and Glad, I had no idea dracaena would root in water. I garbage picked the plant. A moving neighbour left a few plants, a whatnot table and assorted bags of junk by the dumpster of an apartment I lived in about 40 years ago. I couldn’t afford extras like plants so I grabbed them. Still have the table in my bedroom. Wow, it’s my longest surviving plant!

Last time I mowed a wasp nest, one flew into, and couldn’t find its way out of, my tank-style sports bra. Ouch! As if I need extra swelling in that area.

My cat is a determined acrobat. I’ve poked sticks in the pots, pop cans, tin foil, etc. She smacks stuff out of her way! Her favourite is new spider plant growth. I heard they’re hallucinogenic to cats. My obsessive fuzzy stoner.
(5)

Ana,

Being bitten inside your bra. Ouch!
(1)

need - I wonder if it is wasps your dd has. I have had more wasp or ground hornet stings than bees though one flew in my hair a few years ago and in a split second I debated the wisdom of a bee sting on the scalp versus a bee sting on the finger and decided to pluck it out of my hair. I got a finger sting but was able to pull out the stinger so it wasn't too bad. A few summers before that I stepped out of the house wearing a very flowery loose top and a bee flew around the corner of the house straight for me. I batted it away. A few minutes later entering the pharmacy the mall the same thing happened. I didn't wear that top again. I think they were attracted by the colours.

ana - That's an old plant. I'm not sure I have some that old. I may have a few of the originals I moved up here with 40+ years ago.

A wasp inside your bra - ouch, indeed. Worse than a grasshopper in my undies! I didn't know that about spider plants. Looked it up and they are not toxic but mildly hallucinogenic to cats. Mine ignores them most of the time.

I cut a bit out of it and slid a paper plate over the pot containing my dracena. It worked and now Rocky isn't interested. She does lie down in a big pot sometimes curling around the plants but hadn't destroyed anything. They all have different personalities.
(0)

Golden, I ditched my favourite wild cherry shampoo and conditioner for the same reason you ditched that top.
(1)

Golden,

My daughter is supposed to be coming over a little later today and I will ask her about her situation.

When I spoke to her on the phone, we only spoke for a couple of minutes, so I don’t know much.

You know how she loves her pooch so much. That’s her baby! I think she was most upset that he tried to eat the bee or wasp, whichever it is.

Her dog definitely has strong prey instincts. I had to tell her that I cannot walk him when she leaves him with us when she goes out of town. If he sees a squirrel or bird, he wants to run after it. I take him to the dog park to get his exercise.

He pulls so hard on his leash. I feel like I will fall, I don’t feel safe walking him. I don’t know if all Siberian huskies pull as strongly on their leashes or not. He isn’t good on his leash. He’s sweet as pie but he doesn’t listen to me so I stopped walking him.

I wasn’t familiar with this breed of dog. They aren’t common here in the south.
(1)

Ana - wise move

Need - huskys are pullers. That's what they are bred for - pulling sleighs. I found it was no fun walking the part husky pooch we had. He pulled all the time He was a lovely dog, intelligent, friendly and affectionate, but he pulled while on the leash.

One time I was walking him near the bush and sat on a log for a rest. I had slung the leash around my waist. He heard an animal in the bush and took off and momentarily I had visions of myself bouncing backwards through the bush as he pursued this creature - but thankfully he stopped when he felt my weight.

That same walk I had started downhill and it was dreadful straining against him so we didn't go down too fast. My legs were sore. Uphill on the way home was another matter. He pulled me up the hill and that was fine!!!

They have such a lovely personality. I understand you dd being concerned about him catching insects. Once my springer aroused a nest of wasps and was stung all over. Fortunately I has a plastic bath for him outside that summer full of water. He jumped into it and the wasps floated off him and he was fine. A sting in the mouth would not be nice.
(1)

Golden,

I can’t even imagine walking my grand dog downhill! As you say, they pull on the leash something awful.
(1)

Speaking of creepy, crawly, stingy things geez, about 45 years ago a woman I worked with was also a realtor. She told me she was showing a house in a new subdivision still being built, so there were lots of weeds and such around. She was walking towards the front door, and a grasshopper flew in her mouth!!!😫😫🐸🐸

I usually don't really mind bugs as long as they mind their business and leave me alone. But, grasshoppers are something else again. I definitely learned what not to plant if I want to.keep the hoppers away. In an old house the previous owner loved mums and planted gobs of them! Well they attracted gobs of grasshoppers! BLECH!!
(3)

I have a thing about big bugs, they really creep me out! But I don't really mind grasshoppers that much, maybe because they are jumpy instead of creepy?
(but I've never encountered them in plague like numbers either)
(2)

I don’t mind grasshoppers either. They are kind of cute. Ladybugs 🐞 are really cute.

We have an insectarium that I haven’t gone to. My daughters have gone and said that they enjoyed it.

My oldest daughter loved frogs and lizards when she was little. She even loved snakes and asked for one. I said no to that request! My youngest daughter doesn’t like any of that! LOL 😆

My oldest daughter tried the chocolate covered ants and crickets at the insectarium. She liked them and said they are the food of the future! Lots of protein in crickets.

My youngest daughter grosses out with all bugs.

One of my nephews had snakes. My youngest daughter did have pet mice at one time. I was surprised that she wanted those. The older one had hamsters.

My mom hated my hamsters but she told my daughter that her mice were cute! Hahaha She adored her grandchildren so she accepted all of their pets.
(3)

I started vegetable seeds
Do.it every year doesn't always work out but I like trying

Anyone else started vegetable seeds,?

What are you growing? 🙂
(2)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter