Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
I thought about it, but I just couldn't get motivated. I missed planting when I've stopped before but the pleasure of gardening gets smaller every year; when weighed against the costs of potting mix, containers, seeds and plants and the struggle to keep anything alive in my inhospitable yard it just doesn't seem worth it.
(3)

❤️🙂

"What’s a gardener’s favorite Beatles song?
Lettuce bee."
(2)

I'm noticing more crocus flowering willy-nilly in my lawn, I guess the little @#$% didn't eat them all.
(4)

Yesterday it was almost warm-ish here so, started to clear out a section of the garden and get it ready to put in a few bulbs then when it's warmer out plant zinnia seeds. I've become a much more casual gardener, lower back surgery has been the primary reason. Otherwise, this is the third garden I've worked on. It's in semi-shade, soil tested borderline high for lead (old houses here-lead paint 'n pipes leaching into the soil) so no herbs or vegetables can be grown for consumption. Instead, I'll check the local box stores for hosta on sale or other hardy plants to fill out the yard. Moved from Philly-which is a great region for gardening to central Pa., being at least a growing zone behind means a change in how and what is grown. As well as very poor plant selection at family nurseries and stores-in quality and selection. So, I keep it simple and enjoy what does grow.
(3)

Ariadnee, I read a book once, satirical in nature, that had a line “she was so tacky, she planted zinnias in the front yard” Maybe I’m not classy enough, but I’ve always planted zinnias anywhere I felt like it. They remind me of my mother as she and I often planted the seeds together when I was growing up. Love their vibrant colors
(4)

I love my zinnias, unfortunately japanese beetles love them too.
(3)

Years when I was a child a neighbour a few doors down always planted zinnias along the walk to their house. I have never forgotten their lovely bright colours and can still see her out there tending to them.
(4)

Golden,

Zinnias are beautiful! I love the bright colors too.
(1)

Look at balconygardenweb.com and read the article on 15 Ugly Flowers You’d Like to Grow in Garden.

I love flowers but I totally agree that these are ugly flowers!
(1)

I actually like many of those ugly flowers. Most of them would never grow here and I could do without the ones with stickers!co

https://balconygardenweb.com/ugly-flowers-youd-like-to-grow-in-garden/
(2)

Glad,

They are unique! Which ones did you like? Would you plant them if they grew in your area?

What would your dream garden be? I watched The Gardener documentary. That man had a true passion for gardening!

I believe that his property was 3rd or 4th generation. He traveled the world for inspiration. He was a fascinating man.
(0)

I love how eclectic Frank Cabot was. My taste is very similar to his. I am eclectic by nature.

He had guests houses in his garden. He had a Japanese tea room. I loved his Japanese garden!

He had magnificent sculptures in other parts of his garden.

He had beautiful water features in some.
(1)

I like many of them too. For me very few plants or flowers are ugly.
(3)

Zinnias are fun, bright, easily grown flowers, from low to high, brightly colored and hardy all Summer. I tried seed saving from last years flowers, not sure if anything will germinate, but it's fun to find out. Tacky? Well, the bees don't care, and the birds in winter who strip the dried flower head seeds seem content. One favorite flower to grow in Philly was Hollyhocks. They self seed where ever they want-which for me was a plus. Also, open pollination meant that I never knew from year to year what mutant would be blooming. So exciting to see all the varients. Foxglove was not as genetically unstable, self seeded nicely and the bees loved it. It is poisonous, so be careful if children may be part of your garden if it's in it.
If you have a hot, somewhat dry, sunny spot that needs a nice bushy, flowering all summer plant, try Tithonia-bright orange flowers with cheerful yellow centers. They bloomed very well for me in Philly.
Treating for Japanese beetles is tough. See if your local garden center has something called Milky Spore. It tends to be quite effective in controlling for the beetles. Do not bother with the beetle bag traps, which encourages other beetles to come into your yard to sniff at the attractant in the bag trap. Of course, you do not want more beetles in your yard. The robins got used to me picking them off plants or finding grubs in the soil and wait for me to toss 'em their way.
I've always grown organically, no chemicals, and an happy with the results. It's been a rough couple of years here with my husband who has dementia, getting back into the garden helps with the stress and I hope to keep doing it.
(2)

I haven’t planted them in a long while but one of my favorite little flowers are Johnny jump ups. So sweet!
(0)

Golden and Glad,

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Those flowers in the article are very distinctive. In comparison to other flowers some people may find them to be unattractive.
(1)

Need - indeed. A wise old friend of mother's used to say that is was no use discussing tastes. We all have them and there is no right or wrong.

I love johnny jump ups. They used to seed and pop up here and there in my beds. Wonderful colour!
(2)

When you say Johnny Jump-Ups are you also saying Violas? I think they’re two names for the same flower. Like a tiny version of a pansy. If we’re talking the same thing that is?
Foxgloves don’t grow here, too hot, but I understand them to be the source for the heart medicine digoxin
(3)

Yes, violas.
(2)

I like low maintenance gardening. I don’t have patience for plants that are difficult to deal with.

My grandfather and my godmother grew spectacular roses. I never tried growing roses because I saw the amount of time and labor that was required.

My grandfather worked in his garden until he was quite old.

My godmother had to stop gardening. She had macular degeneration and eventually went blind. She had Alzheimer’s disease and died in a nursing home.

My godmother and my grandpa were very passionate about their gardens. My grandmother wasn’t interested in gardening at all. She preferred crocheting, knitting, embroidery, cooking and watching her soap operas.
(1)

Foxglove and digitalis
(1)

We have so many deer here in the forest, so I grow a lot of zinnias & cosmos each summer. To take care of the Japanese beetles, I take a small bucket & fill it with dawn dish soap & water. I flick the beetles into the dishwater. It kills them almost instantly.

I have a nice patch of Johnny Jump Ups that come back year after year. 💐
(3)

Victoria,

Dawn dishwashing liquid is a multi purpose item. I love it.
(2)

Maybe a question here for the Georgia Peach crowd, but am wondering if anyone knows?

I have an old peach tree and an old apple tree in the yard next door, that I love for their hanging over the fence into my yard with their bounties.
Each season the peach gets its lovely pink blossoms,
then a set of leaves that quickly go all curly and weird (almost a fungus sort of look); these then drop
and a SECOND set of leaves come in that are lovely for the most part.
It always grows great tasting peaches which the squirrels are loathe to share with me.

I asked an orchardist about it long ago; he may have given me a name of the pest, and he said "Oh, needs it's spring spray of copper".

Noooooooo. No pesticides for my garden with all the wild birds and squirrels. So we make do.

My question is this:
If you live in warmer climes, not so damp and without seasons, not so without hot sun in summer--do your peach trees STILL suffer from whatever this pest is?

Just curious really, and thanks to any experts.
(2)

Palisade peaches are grown in the western part of the state. They beat a Georgia peach any day! 😁😁 I don't know if anything like that happens here. There is definitely problems with late freezes.

Copper isn't a pesticide, or is there a pesticide called copper?

Gotta love Google!
https://ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7426.html
(1)

Glad,

I always buy peach pepper jelly at my local farmers market and fairs. One vendor told me that he thinks peaches from South Carolina are the best. South Carolina harvests more peaches than Georgia does. California grows the most peaches.

I love peaches! I glaze a pork loin with the pepper jelly.

My mother in law preferred nectarines over peaches. I like both.
(2)

He has never had a palisade peach!😊😊

https://matadornetwork.com/read/palisade-peaches/

Our FFA (Future Farmers of America) has their yearly fundraiser by selling cases of Palisade peaches.
(0)

Glad,

Maybe he hasn’t and doesn’t know what he’s missing out on.

One of my favorite pies is peach. I prefer it to apple pie. It’s my favorite cobbler too.
(1)

Glad, yes, that's exactly this. And with all our rainfall, finally in California, it is at its worst this year. Guess I am down to that for sure, and it is a fungus, and copper is the answer. Big tree, would have to be an airplane spraying I think, hee hee. It does produce peaches, but like I said, squirrels get them before me. They go from peaches to apples to persimmons here, quite happily. Two massive Oaks in the two yards directly behind me, so some acorns as well. They are fat and happy creatures.

That was really a complete article on just what it is, what it looks like, and how it acts.
(2)

I’m curious. Do any of you collect rainwater to water your plants or gardens?

Louisiana gets a fair amount of rainfall. I notice that after it has rained my garden seems to perk up more so than when I water it with my hose.

My mom would collect rainwater to water her plants and garden. She felt that plants preferred rainwater. Do you feel this way too?
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter